Working with Parents/Families:
Using items in the Resources folder, answer the questions below and upload here:
1. What are due process and parents’ rights in terms of the education of their children with disabilities? Explain.
2. Families and children that you work with will be very diverse, in terms of culture, ability, language, values and needs. What are some communication strategies for working with diverse children and their families? Describe at least 3 strategies.
3. What are some tips for creating a positive and supportive home/school partnership? On the flip side, what are some barriers or challenges for home/school partnerships? Explain each.
4. What are some tips for teachers regarding parent-teacher conferences? What are some tips for teachers for holding IEP and 504 meetings? Describe them.
Answer questions 1-4
Read this letter from “Drew’s Dad” to his child’s new teacher. Then answer the questions below:
1. How you would feel if you received this letter?
2. Do you see this as a concerned or conscientious parent, as a parent who knows too much about special education and is showing off, or as a threat to your teaching style or ability? Explain.
3. Discuss different ways of working with Pat’s parents.
Anwer questions 1-3