Based on the Book: Brain on Fire – My Month of Madness, Susannah Cahalan, Simon and Schuster, 2012, ISBN 978-1-4516-2138-9
ANSWERS MUST COME FROM THIS BOOK!!!! NO ONLINE REFERENCES at all!!
1. The book Brain on Fire opens and concludes with a quote from Friedrich Nietzsche. Who was he, how did he contribute to his field, and why do you think the author utilized that particular quotation?
2. What do the terms “deja vu” and “jamais vu” mean in the context of seizures?
3. What is plasmapheresis?
4. What is the rationale behind treatment of autoimmune diseases with IgG?
5. Discuss the different kinds of paraneoplastic syndromes.
6. What are cytokines?
7. Explain the concept of “neuroplasticity”?
8. Explain the term “visual neglect” and the neurologic basis of the deficit.
9. How would you define consciousness?
10. What is the reticular activating system?
11. Part 3 of the book begins with a quotation from Marcel Proust having to do with memory and existence. Who was this individual and how do you think his physical condition influenced his perspective?
12. Have you ever had to deal with serious illness either personally or in a close family member, and how did it influence your actions and/ or way of relating to life, or if you have been fortunate enough not to have had this experience, what are your thoughts about the ephemeral nature of life?
Essay Writing at Online Custom Essay
Review This Service